- Experience Proposal Form: If you have completed, or are planning to complete an experience, fill out this form for approval. You will receive a confirmation email once your experience is approved.
- Experience Opportunities Site: This is a resource for those looking for a 150 hour and/or 300 hour experiences, as well as other jobs and opportunities. Duke I&E does not necessarily endorse these opportunities. Students are expected to perform their own due diligence on each opportunity to determine its legitimacy and fit.
The portfolio is one of the core requirements of the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Certificate alongside your courses and experiences. It is an externally-facing digital collection of work and reflections that together showcase your learning experiences and accomplishments. All portfolios will be featured on the I&E website at the end of your senior year, and those who complete this requirement with excellence will be recognized at I&E Certificate graduation; we will also share those portfolios in I&E communications for alumni, faculty, staff and students to view.
Within the first two weeks of the Capstone course, you will create the portfolio as an assignment using the platform of your choosing (such as Canva, Figma, PowerPoint, WordPress, etc). You will submit it as an assignment and use it in-class to guide a discussion of your entrepreneurial experiences. Toward the end of the semester, you will add a final reflection to the portfolio, considering your future and how you will carry forward what you have learned during your time at Duke.
The I&E Certificate Portfolio will be completed as part of the Capstone course beginning Spring 2023 and going forward.
Course Exception Petition
Students are able to propose a non-approved course to satisfy a certificate requirement. The proposed course should relate to innovation and/or entrepreneurship and your learning goals for the I&E certificate.
- Course Proposal forms will be reviewed within a week of receipt. Students will need to include course syllabus for submission.
- If you are studying abroad and would like to submit a course exception you will need to initiate the approval process through the Global Education office.
Students register for the Capstone as their final requirement for the I&E Undergraduate Certificate.
In order to be eligible for the capstone the following requirements must be completed, submitted, and approved.
- Courses: Gateway Elective, I&E 352 – Strategies for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Keystone) and Additional Elective.
- Electives will be different for every student.
- 150 hr experience proposal approved and the experience fully complete before the start of the Capstone.
- 300 hr experience proposal approved and the experience fully complete before the start of the Capstone.
- Permission numbers for the Capstone are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. While we can guarantee you enrollment in a capstone, we cannot guarantee a specific section. If there is a particular section you want to register for, make sure to complete your requirements (listed above) and request a permission number as soon as possible.
- The deadline to request a permission number is the first day of classes.
Declare the Certificate
When you declare your major, be sure to also declare the Certificate. If you have already declared your major, be sure to add the Certificate to your academic plan.