I&E+, a 10-week summer experiential learning program, gives you valuable hands-on business and research experience, along with skills in creativity, problem solving, and project management. In teams of two, you will be partnered with a local organization to learn and apply innovation and entrepreneurship methods, frameworks, and mindsets to strategic projects.
You’ll focus on challenges like new market entry, product launch, partnerships, fundraising, talent and culture, or brand strategy, working to understand the challenge, generate and evaluate ideas, and present your findings to your peers and the partner organization. Final work products are diverse and may consist of research reports, working prototypes, strategic roadmaps, or analytical models produced to inform strategic recommendations.
Along with the rest of your cohort, you’ll get training and advising specific to your project as you learn innovative mindsets, frameworks, and methods to become more creative and effective. You will also hear from guest speakers and participate in reflection and team building activities to foster community within I&E+ and other summer plus program participants.
For I&E Certificate students, I&E+ provides a curated 300-hour experience to fulfill that Certificate requirement.
- 10-week program (May 20, 2024-July 26, 2024)
- Up to 4 days working onsite (preferred) or virtually with your partner
- 1-2 days per week in the Duke I&E Bullpen, where you’ll join your cohort for learning, peer support and thought partnership, and community building
- Learn from esteemed faculty and experts including Fuqua Associate Professor and Duke I&E director Jamie Jones
The below training session topics are illustrative of the types that students will learn. Actual topics will be finalized at a later date and tailored to support student projects.
- Startup 101: Fundamentals of start-up stages, funding, and more
- Developing Deep Curiosity: How to ask good questions that lead to new ideas
- Problem Solving 101: How to structure an approach to an ambiguous problem
- Design Thinking 101: How to conduct a brainstorming/rapid ideation session
- Project Management Fundamentals: How to organize your team and tasks for maximum effectiveness
- Managing Up: How to communicate and ensure visibility of your work
- Measuring Success: How to set and track metrics and key performance indicators
- Storytelling 101: How to effectively communicate ideas to achieve buy-in from stakeholders
If selected for I&E+, you can choose from two funding options:
- A stipend of $5,000 (you are responsible for finding housing)
- On-campus room + meal plan + $1,000*
*Students receiving financial aid can an choose to extend their on-campus housing in lieu of $1,000.
Students with no vehicle are also eligible for transportation funding.
Financial support is subject to change as program details are finalized.
Eligibility & Application
Duke undergraduate students of all majors and minors are eligible; preference will be given to first-years and sophomores. No experience in innovation/entrepreneurship is required.
Applications are due by February 25. If spots remain, applications will continue until teams are filled.
Questions? Contact Solomon Valentine, Duke I&E Senior Program Coordinator.